Friday, August 20, 2010

Made it to Korea!


My first full day in Korea is about to come to an end. Its nearing 9 pm Friday evening and I am exhausted (Friday morning is just starting in California, crazy!) Jason and I landed safely at Incheon Airport around 6:30 pm Thursday evening, quickly made it through customs and immigration, found our bags and located the EPIK registration booth. They had us on the shuttle to our orientation dorms by 9 pm and off we went, headed to the Institute of International Education in Seoul. The dorms are nice enough, they are clean and have everything we need. The bed feels like I'm sleeping on a stiff board, but that's okay, I couldn't stay asleep anyway!

I think my body knew that in CA it was the middle of the day, and my mind wouldn't stop racing, so I woke up every hour from 12 midnight to 6 am. For some reason the air conditioners in our room turned off at 6 am and that immediately made it ridiculously hot and humid so I definitely woke up and stayed up. Not surprisingly the lobby of our dorm floor was crowded with people who also couldn't sleep. We are
on the fourth floor of a five story building, with about 30 rooms per floor divided between two hallways with a lobby in the middle with chairs, a TV and some computers. That is also where the wifi internet is, thus why everyone is hanging out there. We are fed three meals a day and so far they have been really delicious and filling, with lots of variety (and all very healthy.)

Today we had to fill out the paperwork to get our Korean bank accounts set up and we also attended the orientation welcome which included: some cute/awesome Taekwondo demonstrations executed by local middle school children, two traditional Korean musical performances, a couple welcome addresses by EPIK staff, and a really interesting and informative lecture by a Korean Professor about Korean history, politics and economics.

Jason and I just got back from walking around the streets surrounding the Institute, which is in the North West-ish area of Downtown Seoul. I'm still pretty disorientated as to where we are, although we did find a subway line near by. This area of the city has lots of trees and public art, so I'm told its a little different than the rest o
f the city. Very green and beautiful though. The streets are really cute with lots of restaurants, boutiques and coffee shops. We got coffee at... Starbucks! Go figure. Two drinks cost around $10!! The Starbucks culture is very different here though. You are expected to sit down with your drinks on a tray and chat with your friends, not buy a huge coffee and walk out or sit down to study while plugged into your laptop. It was much nicer, a social place, which is probably why it is more expensive. (Trashy and recycling is also so much more efficient! Even at Starbucks there were separate places to throw away your: lid, cup, liquid waste and other (napkins, straw) and its the same way in the dorms).

All in all, things are going well. I'm definitely missing home and family but I'm okay... oh except for my missing suitcase. Yeah, that really sucks. Way to go United. Thanks for loosing my favorite boots, my new suit jacket, all my carefully chosen presents for my new bosses, etc. I'm really sad about that.

The story of our horrible experience at LAX is soon to come! Moral: never fly United.

Jason exhausted after plane ride and pushing/pulling/carrying
tons of luggage throughout the airport.

Street in Seoul

Me with some public art, plus Scott,
our fellow UCI Alum (and CRep Alum)

MOM!!! THIS IS FOR YOU!!!
CHICKEN RIBS!!! Just like we thought!

2 comments:

  1. Rick and I are so proud of your adventurous spirit! We will send Ryan, Bret, and Annie your link. Jet lag is a very stubborn beast, but it too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken ribs! Do you eat them like the beef ribs we get here! Very small. You guys will have to lose weight at this rate.

    ReplyDelete