Thursday, November 11, 2010

Peppero Day! And other recent events.

Peppero day is a Korean "holiday" that involves giving everyone important in your life a box of the treat! (In Japan and the US we know this sweet chocolate/cracker delight as Pocky.) The day was most likely invented by the company that makes it just to sell their product. Yet, other stories surround its mythic origins... I've heard tale that in 1999 a girl ate the long thin cracker/cookie and became skinny... or that the holiday falls on 11/11 because the number again imitates the shape of the candy. (Imagine 11/11/11 -- people will go crazy!) Whatever the reason I like the day! It means that teachers get lots of candy from their students (for once its the other way around!) 

Me displaying my loot from the day. The large box is from Jason as bf/gf give each other gifts too.

How will I eat all this?!?!

In addition to the fantastic images of Peppero Day, here are a few snapshots from my recent adventures. 

Fall foliage around the Yonsei University Campus, Wonju.

Halloween in the Sangji "English Zone"

Coffee and waffles. Enough said.

The rural countryside of JiJeong, the outskirts of Wonju, where my second middle school is located.

Vibrant yellow trees in front of JiJeong Middle School.  Less than a week after I took this photo they had all fallen. I'm told autumn in Korea is stunning (its been pretty great) but one teacher said this year the trees went from "green to grey" because winter arrived too early. 
Celebrating beef at the Hanu Festival!


Beef as super heros... and uhh an bench... an educational bench? We thought this was so wrong. I guess new cows are made somehow.

Beautiful makeshift bridges.

Yonsei Uni Campus, Wonju



3 comments:

  1. Hi Madeline,
    Thanks so much for including such beautiful photos in your blog! I will be sending some dvds to Scott HN, would you like me to include Beethoven & Beethoven's 2nd (double-sided disc) for you? In case you don't remember, Beethoven is a big supernice dog--perhaps like that dog at school--and the movies have English subtitles too!!!
    Wow, is it true if you eat one of those things you'll get skinny!??!!!
    Warmly, Patricia HN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Patricia (aka Scott's mom!) Thanks for the great comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I would really appreciate it if you include a DVD for me in Scott's package, thank you so much! I haven't seen any Beethoven in a long time. I don't think its true about the Pepero though -- I can't imagine eating 10+ boxes of chocolate crackers could make one thin... but you never know, so I'll let you know how it turns out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madeline,
    I'll be sure to include the Beethoven dvd. It also used to be one of Scott's favorite as a child--he used to watch it at his Grandpa's before or after his bath! Wow! I just read your post about your weekend in Seoul after your author dinner--it sure seemed like it's fun to be young and in Korea--and such opportunities for clean fun too....

    ReplyDelete