Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection: I don't mean to be a downer

Life in Korea has set into rhythm. Now that testing and holidays and other random interruptions have finally settled down I've actually taught two full weeks of school, IN A ROW. And it has been exhausting And challenging.

I go through moments of extreme reflection where I just can't figure out what I'm doing here in terms of teaching. As in, what am I accomplishing? I see 22 different groups of students a week, plus two special "genius" classes. Each class has between 20 to 35-40 students. Their ability levels are extremely varied. The coteachers I work with are opposites as well, some assist me throughout the entire class, some don't show up at all. While I think I have some qualities that go into making a "good" teacher (I care, I'm prepared, I'm reliable, I'm hardworking, I'm nice, I'm well versed on the subjects) I definitely lack quality in some important areas: classroom management and creativity. I feel if I was teaching my own set of students, every day, and had a curriculum or textbook to follow, things would be easier or more manageable for me. Sure there would be the days when I don't know how to teach a topic but I think I work well with clear set goals and structure. Korea is not like that, or at least my role in Korea. I have no clear goals nor structure. Every class is different. I have no textbook and have to come up with things from scratch. This is where I saw creativity is a big key. I'm slowly learning how to be adaptable to things that change literally on the spot, like as class begins. My most constructive advice on how to approach teaching in Korea came from a student who said, "usually we just listen to the teacher translate from the book, with you we want to do things we can't do with the book, like listen and speak and watch movies and music" -- I'm not really teaching a conversation class and not really a culture class and not really a class on grammar, or a review class or a camp filled with games... but a combination of all of that. I'm trying to relax more and not take lesson planning so seriously because... I'm not taken so seriously. I definitely think not being a "notice" teacher would be helpful.

The kids are cute though and curious and challenging and time goes on!

1 comment:

  1. Yes Mad. Teaching is hard. I feel like I was somewhat in the same boat when I started. There is no curriculum or book for teaching a computer class. It took me at least 4 years of trial and error to come up with things to teach, and methods, that work and that the kids somewhat like. Classroom management I feel is something that has to be individualized also. You have to find a system that works for you and that takes trial and error too. And time. You will not be able to find a system that works for you in the first year even. Just be FIRM and consistent. They say it takes 5 years to learn how to teach. Believe it!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete