Thursday, May 19, 2011

California Girls... A Brief Trip to the West Coast

A few weeks ago Jason and I took a quick trip back to the US for a close friend's wedding. We left Wonju on Wednesday, arriving too early at the bus station and forced to sit in Krispy Kreame for 2 hours. From the bus we arrived at Incheon International Airport where we quickly and easily check in for our Asiania Flight. We each had two large suitcases because we took home as much winter wear as we could. Then we treated ourselves to Kraze Burgers before boarding the plane.

10 hours later we arrived at LAX where Jason's parents met us. It didn't seem too strange to be in LA again, we'd both driven the freeway so many times. I did notice that the sun was so bright and the sky so blue, a welcome relief from the frequent gloomy skies of Korea. Soon we arrived in Lancaster which felt again, just like home! We had so delicous Taco Bell before my mom arrived and I headed off with her. We decided to hit up the mall because I wanted to buy some things for the wedding. We enjoyed coffee (finally a good cup of coffee!!) and strolling the mall. Afterwards we went home where I got to see Dad and the dogs and the we headed off to Shakey's for dinner.

Thursday was another busy day. Jason's parents dropped him off at my house so we could live to drive up North for the wedding that was happening Saturday in Santa Cruz. I got my hair cut that morning and then away we went. On our way we stopped for the night in San Luis Obispo to see my brother Scott! It was really nice to see him and such a fun night. We went in a downtown bar for some drinks before walking the beautiful streets of SLO for the weekly farmer's market. I chowded down on chicken kabob's and Italian soup. So good! It felt so nice to have so much food variety and to spend time with the family in such a fun atmosphere.

Friday morning we met Scott again for an oh-so-delicious brunch. We went to a diner like sandwhich shop. My sandwhich was glorious! Cheese, check! Turkey, check! Mustard, check! (I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.) Then it was back in the car for the rest of our drive to Santa Cruz. We checked into our beautifully landscaped hotel and then Jason headed off to the resort where the wedding was to be held for the rehersal. I stayed with Mom at the hotel and because Dad was feeling sick and didn't want to go out, we headed to the hotel bar to cash in our free drink coupons! We ended up staying for a couple of hours just chatting away and get some awesome half off nachos during happy hour! Then I had to leave to go to the rehersal dinner. There I finally got to see the bride and groom, our good friends Lauren and Josh! We had a nice dinner but didn't stay too late. After returning to our hotel, Mom, Jason and I had a quick before at the bar before going to bed. (This was also the day of the royal wedding so it was on all the TVs.)

On Saturday it was time for the wedding! The wedding was at 1pm and in a beautiful outdoor setting at Sea Scape Resort in Santa Cruz. The spot was on a sea cliff overlooking the beach below. It was a smaller wedding and the whole ceremony was casual and light. Lauren's stepdad married them, they wrote their own vows and the flower boy was a grown, 25 year old man! After that the fun started in the fancy reception. There were waitors walking around with food platters and the drink bar was unlimited! I really enjoyed relaxing and chatting with different people. We did some dancing and things started to pick up. The reception had to end at 6pm which left the group momentarily split and some of us ended up sitting in the hotel lobby sipping our tequila sunrises. The night ended with a party in someone's room and Jason and I left around 9pm. Again we had a drink with my mom back at our hotel.

Sunday morning it was time to head back to Lancaster. Again we had so delicious coffee before hitting the road. The California coast was amazing at this time of year. All the flowers were lush and in bloom, there was green everywhere and warm sunshine! It was so perfect! We stopped in SLO again on our way home to meet Scott one more time. He showed us the car he'd been working on with his mechanical enginnering club and we had a great pizza lunch at Woodstalks. Then it was back on the road. We got to Lancaster late, about 7pm and Jason's parents came for him. Mom and I headed in to Chronic Tacos (oh so good! I finally had Mexican food!) and saw the news on Osama bin Laden. Quite the eventful weekend we'd picked to visit home!

Monday and Tuesday I hung around with Mom and Dad. It was so nice and relaxing. Mom and I did some major shopping at the mall. Then we went to Grandma's to see her and George, finally! It was again as if nothing had changed. I really liked getting to see them. We went to Lancaster Blvd for a delicous dinner at a newish restaurant. Before we left Dad made sure to show me the new bowling alley and bar in the basebament of Beck's. It was actually pretty cool! Really snazzy, so surprising for Lancaster! On Tuesday I had dinner with Jason and his family and then spent my final night at home watching NCIS with Mom and Dad, just like old times.

Sadly I had to leave Wednesday morning for LAX. Dad and I got up at 3:30am to leave, stopping for AM PM coffee on the way. I checked in no problem and had went through the full body scanner (I don't get what the big deal is?) waving to Dad goodbye as I went up the escalator. I was alone this time as Jason was able to stay until Sunday. His school had given him more time off than mine. Mine wanted be to be back for one day of school on Friday. Go figure. I had a quick layover in San Francsico and then a long 12 hour flight that was quite boring. The most eventful thing that happened was when the flight attendents miscalculated when we were going to land. I don't know how they managed that, sinec I knewe we were supposed to land at 3pm, not 4pm. They had just started to serve the final meal when the captian said "get ready to land in 30 minutes" -- they became frantic and told everyone to eat quickly. One lady even snapped her fingers at me to hurry up! It was so rude, they made the mistake, not me! Somehow, they got everything done and sat down no less than 30 seconds before we landed! They were not a very good flight crew throught the trip, always talking loudly, mildly cussing and always leaving the blaring light on in their kitchen (which was right next to me) because they always forgot to close the curtain.

I arrived in Wonju with no trouble Thursday night. (I lost a whole two days traveling!)

I had a great trip! It was really as if nothing had changed! I have to admit though, coming back to Korea, and then Wonju and then my own apartment where all my things have their place, it felt like I was coming home. Lancaster will always be home-home no matter what, but you know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment