Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Typical Day Schedule

I thought today I'd just give a general account of an average day in my school.

This is my Tuesday schedule...

7-7:30am: Wake up, shower, dress and have breakfast
8:30: Arrive at school, takes less than 5 minutes to walk over. Go up to the English Room and unlock the door, turn the computer on and settle in.
8:30-9:00: Prep time when students are in their homeroom classes doing... something.
9:00-9:45: 1st grade class 1-3 with Ms. K. Except today she is taking them and they are not coming to my class at all. So I am sitting here with free time. This is very typical. She says she is behind and I "don't need to worry" abou teaching them until June!
9:45-9:55: Class ends and students have a 10 minute passing period. Oh wait, they stay in the same class all day and its the teachers that move from room to room. Seems a long time to me... Anyway.
9:55-10:40: Class 1-1 with Mr. B. Here I stand next to the podium and read sentences out of the book, line by line, and then he translates them into Korean. Every now and then someone asks me a question about the USA to which Mr. B translates everything between Korean and English. We also from time to time watch US pop music videos or funny videos that are totally unrelated to English on the interent.
10:40-10:50: Another 10 minute passing period
10:50-11:35: Period 3, Class 3-3 with Mr. P. In this class I am soley responsible for making and teaching the lesson plan, slightly related to the book but presented however I want. Mr. P helps when I ask him to and is always engaged.
11:35-11:45: Another 10 minute passing period.
11:45-12:30: Period 4, Class 1-4 with Ms. K. Again I don't get to see them today. More free time.
12:30-1:30: Lunch in the school cafeteria. Costs 2800 won. I sit everyday with three other women teachers. Only one speaks English. No one says anything to me although lately I can hear my name being brought up and when I ask the English teacher to translate (what what?) she shruggs and keeps eating.
1:30-2:15: Period 5, no class. Free time.
2:15-2:25: 10 minute passing.
2:25-3:10: Period 6, class 3-5 with Mr. P. Another third grade class same as above. Although today I suspect their class might be cancelled so they can go to an assembly prepping them on the field trip they are taking tomorrow. We shall see. If so, free time.
3:10-3:35: Cleaning time. The students clean the school, half heartedly. I chat with the girls that come to see and talk to me in the English Room.
3:35-4:20: Period 7. Most of the time all the students go home now. I never have a class except on Tuesdays when I teach 10 "gifted" children. Its a nice small class where we mostly do talking or simple activities. I believe it is actually on for today. I haven't taught it in over a month.
4:30: Go home.
4:35-on... Watch TV, eat dinner, go for a walk...


Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment