Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Classes Thus Far

Classes so far have been large and varied. The first graders (grade 7 at home) are all very nice, attentive and usually excited to learn. I feel like they are more similar to how elementry students would be. The second graders (grade 8 at home) are usually super loud and unfocused, for the most part! They want to play games and get candy. The third graders (grade 9 at home) are the huge classes of 35, so they are definitely loud and hard to handle, their language ability is better than the second years (but the first years still seem best.)

Its hard to generalize too much though... each class varies based on who their primary English teacher is and based on their English language ability. Some teachers seem to allow talking and sleeping more often in their classes than others, and while they are nice teachers, I'm not always sure their discipline method works the best. Some teachers don't allow any talking. Some teachers don't have to say anything and the class is just quiet. I'm trying to make notes about each class so I can remember the traits of each group. I need to come up with some kind of discipline/rewards system. Especially since my class is ungraded (thus to the students that equals free period.)

I realized this week (after introducing myself over and over and over last week) that although I've prepared a new lesson plan and am ready to go, I'm not going to teach every class I am scheduled for. Like this week, there is an English oral listening exam conducted over the radio which every grade has to take, nationally. So yesterday, Mrs. Kim told me that her class would be studying, not meeting with me. Then again today with Ms. Kim, I met two new class that I only have every two weeks (so back to introduction lesson) and then was told that two of my classes have to study. So only on Monday was able to try the lesson, which involves listening to key words in the song "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas and standing/sitting every time the key word is heard. It went really well in some classes on Monday, while some kids looked confused, some looked totally bored, some looked like I was asking too much from them by having them sit and stand. So I decided on somethings I would change for Tuesday, yet now its Wednesday and I still haven't been able to try the new lesson. Maybe tomorrow??? Maybe not. I'm not trying to complain though! Having five classes in one day is exhasting, so I'm totally okay with not teaching and just sitting back. Gives me time to blog, erh I mean email, erh I mean lesson plan. (Someday, really, I'll start using my time more constructively.)

Yesterday was a long day anyhow because Jason and I had to teach our "Genius Class" at the main Wonju Office of Education. I don't think I mentioned it before, but on Tuesday nights from 5-7:30 we teach gifted students from different middle schools all over Wonju. My main co-teacher Mr. Byeon helped develop the class because he thought it was important for Korean children to experience what it would be like to be in an "American" class setting in case they study abroad. Last quarter the topics were Economics and World History, this quarter we are teaching American History and Science! Perfect for Jason and I!

The class was actually really fun! The kids really are gifted. Their English is amazing (they know words I don't know) and they are just generally smart kids. They would be like 8th graders at home. There are also some boys in the class, which is a nice change from our all girls school. I made a powerpoint explaining "early North America" and Jason went over the names of lab equipement. My co-teacher was there the entire time and said "Jason is very good at teaching science" - I think it was true! (Plus my teacher gets so excited to be around a male native english teacher instead of always me, a girl! I think he feels more comfortable talking sometimes.) The kids didn't look too bored, and were actually really attentive and answered questions for most of the period. It was like what a really good class would be like at home. It was definitely easier to teach when the kids understood English! We teach this class every Tuesday, each half the time, we are paid extra for it and it only lasts until December.

My co-teacher was also great because after the class he took us out to sushi! The place was awesome! It was only 6,000 won for all you can eat! And it was really good sushi, sushi rolls, wontons, soup, coffee... mmmm, so good and so cheap. We will for sure go back and bring our friends!

3 comments:

  1. Mad, the "genius class" sounds fun. I guess you are figuring out how to use PowerPoint. The grades behavior sound similar to here. 7th grade nice, 8th grade a little harder, 9th grade starting to get snotty. I am doing vocabulary bingo with my students tomorrow. Maybe you could adapt it for your classes. I will email you some "words of wisdom" about discipline and ideas about lessons based on my vast experience with middle school (I just have to think of some, ha, ha).
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes send me any words of wisdom! And send me your bingo game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The genius class was fun. It was easier for me I think because we are in a science room. It would be nice if there were some maps of America for Mad to use.

    ReplyDelete