Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I've arrived in Wonju and taught my first class!

Well I made it! Actually we arrived on Friday around 1:30pm after having a fun goodbye show organized by EPIK on Thursday night, and then a formal goodbye program on Friday. (It was like a double goodbye.) It was nice making new friends, and especially great because now we can keep in touch, travel, trade stories, etc. but it was also definitely time to get on to our placements!

We arrived in Wonju in the afternoon and were immediatly grabbed by our respective co-teachers. Jason and I didn't even say bye and I quickly waved by to a couple other of the new EPIK teachers. There were only about 10 of us on the bus to Wonju (and Wonju area towns.)

My main co-teacher is named Mr. Byeon and he drove me in his car to the school, with all my luggage thankfully. He said we had to go to the school first to get the key to my apartment. I didn't realize that meant he was actually skipping class aka leaving his students to do whatever on their own, while he picked me up. I also didn't realize I would be meeting the Principal and VP. Yikes! EPIK told us so many times how important a meeting these two would be, to bow deep, be polite, small, compliment the school, to dress for success. I was dressed well, but not as well ask I could have been I don't believe. I mean, we'd been sitting on a bus for a few hours from Seoul and no one told us we'd be meeting the big wigs so soon! The VP was very nice, he used to be an English teacher so he speaks very well. The Principal has his own huge office, with a large table and chairs around it for meetings. It was very formal but he was also nice, my co-teacher translated our conversation. He generously gave me a guide book on Wonju and I made sure to ask about the school's achievements. Everyone said "you are so beautiful" but they say that to everyone. (I mean that literally, "you are so beautiful, you are so pretty, you are so handsome." -- Although they can also be blunt the other way, at least the kids, I showed the girls a family photo today and they saw my long hair and were so disappointed that I cut it, they liked it before, haha.)

Oh and did I mention that Mr. Byeon introduced me to two of his classes that he was leaving while he showed me around. I didn't realize school was in session yet! I thought it started Monday! The girls are super cute and I wish I had a video of their reactions every time I walked into a new class. They screamed, cheered, yelled "OOOOOHHHHOOOOWWWOOOO, you are so beautiful teacher!! I love you teacher!!" (I think that's all the know how to say in English... practically.)

After that fun crash course in the Korean educational system we went to my apartment. I was shocked! It is so nice! It is the nicest place I have ever lived for sure. Two bedrooms, leather couch, everything I need... and its free/paid for by the school! The only downside is that the previous teacher who lived her left it a gross mess, she must have never cleaned. Almost everything in the kitchen has grease all over it. Needless to say I am still cleaning. But I am proud of this place, I can't believe its mine for a whole year! No moving, no rent!!

What's great is that the school also has $500 to use on buying apartment essentials for us! So later that night another of my co-teachers Mrs. Kim came by and picked me up. We went into town to shop for sheets, that was really all I wanted. We went to this great indoor market and got some beautiful sheets and pillows. They were kind of expensive! Things I wouldn't buy! She also thought I needed some things for the kitchen so we went to a kitchen store. Then to an electronic store where I got a coffee pot and hair dryer! All for free again! It was so much fun! She's really nice and warm and the whole time I felt like we were on a shopping spree. I got the hint too that when she said, "tell me what you want" she didn't realllllly mean it so much. I said "how about this cutting knife?" and she said "oh no, you don't need that, you have one" (I can't find one in the kitchen...) and then instead said "I think you need... a lunchbox, a water pitcher, a pasta strainer, etc. etc. -- it was lots of fun!

Then she took me out to a quick dinner since I said I was hungry. It was really good food. Sushi made on the spot and gold noodles in a rice water, which was great on such a hot and humid day. Funny thing also is that I didn't have interent at my place until tonight. So when we were at the indoor market, Mrs. Kim asked the owners of the bedroom store if I could use their computer! They of course let me (and gave us free juice) and lo and behold there was an email from Jason (left alone at his desk at school after meeting the Principal he had no idea what to do, haha.) I quickly emailed him saying to meet in front of the school (his high school is on the same school grounds as the middle school) every hour until midnight to see if we could find each other that night. Neither of us had email or phones. As Mrs. Kim was driving me home we passed in front of the school and there was Jason! The plan worked!

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning, eating, sleeping A LOT finally and making a trip to E-Mart the crazy busy Korean version of Target or Wal=Mart via taxi. Oh did I mention that Jason's apartment is just is nice as mine?! We are so lucky! His is actually a three bedroom in a huge high rise while my building is only three stories. He lives by a great restaurant called Pizza School. Oh yeah, pizza is everywhere. Score!

And as this posts headers says, I've taught my first class. Actually the same lesson MANY many times now! I mean, I have 22 different classes per week. They are middle school grades 6, 7 and 8 (here actually its called Middle School 1, 2, 3, and they actually, age wise correspond to American students in 7, 8 and 9th grade because high school here is only 3 years, middle school 3 and elementary 6). I have introduced myself so far to 12 different groups of girls and its only Wednesday!! There are between 20 to 30-35 girls per class, its insane! That means I have nearly 700 students each week (some classes alternate so I only see them every other week even.) All they want to do is play games and be rewarded with candy... oh boy here we go! But thankfully they are all really nice and excited (at least to meet me, not so much to speak English.)

Tomorrow is one more day, then on Friday I would usually have to go to a different school (a rural school) but we have to go to the immigration office so I can be officially registered in the country now that I have a home address. Whew.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mad. It sounds so fun! I liked the banner. Did you get a chance to give out your gifts to the Principal, VP and fellow teachers?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't given the gifts out yet. I was a little unprepared. I'm going to give them out on Monday and bring in some cake/pastries for the rest of the staff. Doesn't hurt to be overly nice!

    ReplyDelete