Thursday, October 28, 2010

Observation #2 Here I Come!

Last Thursday I was observed by the coordinator for the Wonju Office of Education EPIK teachers. My coteacher and I were actually required to coteach (shocking! we never actually do!) and taught from the book. The lesson went fine and we got mostly positive reviews. One comment was to NOT use the book! Ah well, they never want me to, but the school thought since this was a special lesson that we should. Oh well.

Somehow I got roped into ANOTHER observation tomorrow. I thought this one is more about the school than about me, but the more I learn about Korea, the more I realized the presentation and appearance is everything. Thus I'm beginning to realize that I am going to be watched with a close eye, even though one would think that when a supervisor visits your school he would prefer to focus on the examining what the noraml teachers do, reather than some guest foreigner who is only there for one year. But that is not the case. If I do well with this evaluation class people will think I am a "good teacher" regardless of how much I prepare for every other class, or preform in every other class. I am coteachering tomorrow with a different teacher than before and today and tomorrow we are doing two "practice" classes before the real demo/observation class tomorrow. My main coteacher Mr. Byeon told me that in Korea for observation classes you are "like actors" and that "practice is good," Oh brother. So in 20 minutes or so I have to go run through the lesson with a teacher who usually doesn't even show up to class when I'm teaching. I also have to miss one of my favorite first grade classes for this practice as it is scheduled for the same time. I've already taught this lesson once so I feel like tomorrow should go fine but... I'm still not looking forward.

Otherwise this week I've been doing a Halloween lesson. I thought I had a pretty good plan. We'd watch the clip from Nightmare Before Christmas called "This is Halloween," then talk about monsters and then the students would draw their own monster. It actually was a pretty good lesson. Too bad due to finals, scheduling, demo class, etc. I've only got to do it maybe six out of 12 classes. Tuesday night Jason and I also hosted a Halloween party for our genious students class. It was pretty fun! The students, especailly the girls, really liked it! They were all very excited for Halloween, some dressed up, and some brought snacks and pizza to class. We had to race through our usual lesson so we could party! We made dirt cups (yogurt, pudding, cookie crumbs and a gummy worm) and apple cider. They thought both were really strange when they saw us make them, but after they tried it, they realized both were really tasty! We also did bobbing for apples, which was extremely difficult and entertaining for the kids! People were having so much fun we didn't even get to the the "pin the wart on the witch" game. I wanted to find a pumpkin to carve so badly but there were none in Wonju! So sad. Only super tiny green ones.

My after school class today is also getting a party. We're doing pretty much the same stuff I did on Tuesday, just with different kids. Hopefully it isn't too chaotic.

Whew. I'm tired. I did a lot of planning for Halloween. Some may so overkill. Its only because I miss it!

Saturday I am going to a Halloween party at Scott's house though, so that will be really fun! I've got to put together a good costume! I have an idea, just got to see if it is feasible. :)

1 comment:

  1. Your party sounds like fun! I'm sure your students enjoyed it. I wish we could send you a pumpkin.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete